Page 5 of 6
Page 5: Old Grammar School, Post Office, Raikes Hall, Regent, Sacred Heart Church, Savoy Garage, South Shore Promenade Shelters, sundial.
Page 1 - Bispham Parish Church, Blowing Sands, Cabin Lift, Cemetary Chapel, Elmslie School, Fishers Lane. Click here
Page 2: Grand Theatre, Holy Trinity Church, Imperial Hotel, King Edward Cinema(former). Click here
Page 3: Kiosks in Abingdon Street, Kiosks in Talbot Square, Lady of Lourdes, Library and Art Gallery, Marton Mill. Click here
Page 4: Miners Convelescent Home, New Clifton Hotel, North Pier, North Shore Shelters, North Shore Methodist Chapel, Odeon Cinema. Click here
Page 6: St Johns, Synagogue, Tower, Town Hall, Walkers Hill Farmhouse, War Memorial, White Tower, Winter Gardens. Click Here
Grade 2 - Listed 6.11.1975
By Potts Son and Hemming, the Raikes Road Technical School was built in 1904-5 to a free Baroque style in Accrington brick with terracotta dressing and slate roof.
The southern wing, now a Salvation Army Citadel, features a large arched porch, and a three storey corner tower with octagonal lantern and copper dome and finial.
The northern (Church Street) wing, occupied by the Midland Bank, has a decorated porch surmounted by a niche containing a bust, a bay window with ornamental parapet and a copper-capped belfry.
Grade 2 - Listed 02.12.1991
Designed by architects of the Office of Works in 1910 and built by R. Neill & Son of Manchester; slightly altered.
Portland stone with a hipped roof of green slate. Rectangular plan parallel to street. Renaissance style.
Three storeys over cellars, with 4:7:4 windows, a symmetrical composition in which the main range has 1;5;1 bays (outer bays breaking forwards slightly) and the side ranges slightly set back.
A plinth of three courses of punch-dressed rock-faced blocks, channelled rustification and a plain frieze to the ground floor, similar channelling to the outer bays of the main range and at the corners of the side ranges, giant pilasters to the upper floors of the five-bay centre.
An egg-and-dart frieze, prominent modillioned cornice, and balustraded parapet to the main range terminating in upstands over its outer bays.
Grade 2 - Listed 20.10.1983
Once the house of the landowning Hornby family and then a Catholic Convent, the house was bought in 1871 by the Raikes Hall Park Gardens and Aquarium Company.
Its 51 acre gardens were developed as the principal tourist attraction in Blackpool before the Winter Gardens and Tower. Now a public house, the mid-eighteenth century hall was extended in 1870.
The symmetrical design of the original building is in brick and stucco, with stone quoins and dressings and a hipped slate roof -- the rounded-headed doorway has a semi-circular porch with four fluted columns.
Grade 2 - Listed 23.02.2016
The former picture house was opened on 7th January 1921 and was designed by Lumb and Walton who designed several other buildings on the Fylde Coast, including the Savoy Hotel (Grade II) and Fleetwood Pier (demolished). The builders were Chadwick Brothers of Layton and J Fielding & Sons carried out the reinforced concrete work.
The listing was designated for its completeness of design, a cinema with good spatial and decorative integrity including an auditorium retaining most key features, front of house spaces and projection and light rooms. Its architectural quality, a striking landmark with a domed tower and good internal and external detailing. Construction interest as an auditorium of renforced concrete construction with best practice in both fire safety and ventilation. Historic interest a good exmaple of an Edwardian transitional cinema of 1921.
The main ceiling had a retractable roof of glass panels. It seated 1200 with 400 in the balcony which contained one of the largest reinfoced concrete beams of the coutry with a span of 65 feet reducing the need for pillars. The building is clad in white glazed terracotta.
Grade 2* - Listed 20.10.1983
The Church of the Sacred Heart on Talbot Road almost opposite the Town Hall was the first Roman Catholic Church in Blackpool. It was opened on 8th December 1857. The western section was designed by Edward Welby Pugin. It was enlarged in 1894 Less than 10 years after its opening the church was extended by Peter Paul Pugin, another son of Augustus Pugin, who drew up plans that would leave the original building for the most part intact. The original High Altar and Lady Chapel were moved eastwards and the new octagon with its lantern inserted. This provided seating for an additional 450 people. The church was reopened on Trinity Sunday 1894.
Grade 2 - Listed 06.03.2012
The Savoy Garage, King George Avenue, received the certification as part of English Heritage's Motor Car Project, designed to recognise the impact of the motor car on the historic environment.
The garage, which was built between 1914 and 1915, is an exceptionally rare example of an early covered car park on two levels with a lift. Unlike many of its contemporaries, this garage has incurred minimal alteration overall and retains a wealth of original features, including an exceptionally rare motor car lift and turntable
Research has confirmed that the Savoy Garage was built for the Savoy Hydro Hotel, located on the opposite side of King George Avenue, fronting Queen's Promenade.
The hotel and garage are both believed to have been designed by TG Lumb, Son & Walton of Blackpool, a link which suggests that the garage was originally used as covered car parking for the hotel, and also provided maintenance and repairs services.
West of the tramway. Opposite: Alexandra Road - Wellington Road - Trafalgar Road.
Grade 2 - Listed 20.10.1983
These pairs of cast iron shelters flanking steps to the beach were probably built in 1905.
Ornamental brackets in an open arabesque pattern support a lead-covered swept out pavilion-shaped roof with blind bullseye dormers in each side -- a needle shaped iron finial rises from centre of the roof.
Grade 2 - Listed 20.10.1983
This sun dial, on a one metre high stone shaft, is situated only a few metres to the south of the church. It is said to be the base of a former cross.